Wednesday, September 29, 2010

American Emigration 08/09

I’m an American emigrant in China.  When a series of unfortunate events occurred last year; I ended up with no job and no income, forced to cash in on my tiny retirement fund paying a 20% penalty. I had to find work.  For the first time in my 47 years, I decided to go for the money.  I am a teacher and going for the money is not exactly a motivation I knew.
But my son was in his first year of college and given that I am still paying off my own student loans, the financial horizon was utterly grim. I got focused and applied to any job for which I could fashion my resume. I was on Monster.com, signed up with search services, awake in the middle of the night when I got another idea for whom to inundate with my cover letter and references.  I was thinking public relations, editor, non-profit organizations, and admissions at my alma maters (NYU and Dartmouth).  I got nothing, not a call.  But giving up was not an option, so I joined not one but three agencies which place teachers in schools abroad.  At this point I was ready to do anything, go anywhere for a well paying job.  I couldn’t afford (literally) to be picky.
As I did research, my sights started to narrow on China. After an interview in San Francisco, I landed a job in Beijing.  I hadn’t even watched the 2008 summer Olympics; the only pictures I had of Beijing were of smog and inordinate numbers of dark haired people.  I signed the contract anyway and here I am.
I am an immigrant in China wanting what all immigrants want, a better life, a way to provide for my child, a solid economic future free from worry.  I found it in China.  Here I have a choice of luxury apartments.  I have a comprehensive health care and dental package that covers my son and me ANYWHERE in the world and not a penny is taken out of my paycheck.  The school pays for my Chinese taxes and since I don’t break $80,000, I will be exempt in the U.S.  No, it’s true that I am still not making six figures, but do you know what it feels like to have enough to give half my salary to my son’s education and still be able to eat?
There are a few more advantages that make this sacrifice worthwhile; one is the fact that teachers are honored here.  The way we are treated with respect by the community we serve, parents, administrators, and students alike makes all the difference.  My visa says that I am a “foreign expert”; when was the last time an American teacher was seen as an “expert”?  Not only does my pay increase every year, but there are bonuses for continuing the contract because experience and age are valued as well.  I really can’t see why I would come back or how I could swing it financially.  I have to admit now that I want the American dream just like the next gal.   And I found it in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment